Thursday, August 11, 2011

reaching out

When I'm home all day (or even if you work) I tend to isolate quite a bit. I don't want to have nothing to say but what hurts or what problems I'm having. It's what is predominately on my mind.


Yet, I know that I am more than that. I am a wife, mother and daughter. I have a great sense of humor. The Beatles and Scrabble.  I love to read. I'm a foodie. I write plays and short stories I'm trying to publish. I'm even trying to start a novel. 


That's just a short introduction. What defines you besides your illness(es)? What do you have to offer to friendships and support groups? 


Defining ourselves becomes extremely important when we're suffering daily. We tend to talk about it all day. I agree that there are times when our pain takes top priority. But, there are times to just be who we are.


Depression and fear kept me from reaching out to friends. I might have had some nice visits or friends coming over for tea if I made the effort to call them up and plan something.


Reaching out can be scary. Maybe joining a support group might be a good start for you. And, you can text your friend, you don't have to call if you feel intimidated. I know I felt that way and sent a text to my friend inviting her for tea.


Figure out what defines you that has nothing to do with your doctors. Try to enjoy some of that. That should give you the confidence to reach out.


I highly recommend joining a support group. If you're not feeling the first one, try another.


Let's redefine ourselves.


peace & love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment