Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pain and plans

When we make plans generally our intention is to keep them. Everyone, those of us with chronic pain and other symptoms, and those of us without such conditions.

I remember trying to get out of plans when I was younger and didn't suffer from severe pain. Sometimes we just don't want to do or go to whatever it is.

Then there are the times I really want to keep my plans and I can't. Pain wins. It is frustrating and makes me feel isolated. I don't mean mild or dull pain. I mean pain that makes me edgy and takes over my whole body and I really can't go anywhere. I get like that often.

That makes me feel bad and sad. Bad because I wanted to be with those I had plans with and sad that I have such severe pain. I also feel angry. (Which, of course, makes the pain worse.)

The problem is that many of us feel guilty when we have to cancel. Guilt isn't even an emotion so we need to drop that right away.

Whether we have the flu or a conflict or fibro and/or an autoimmune disease it is generally hard to be a no show. We might feel we missed out or let someone down.

Pain causes a lot of problems. We are, "I'll do my best to be there." Maybe we used to be "Yes" people. The ones you could always count on. I have a hard time letting go of the "Yes" mentality because I have to miss out on a lot of things.

Instead of feeling sorry for ourselves we need to adjust our thinking and attitudes to, "I'm doing the best I can."

Let's be happy with what we can do and let go of what we can't. We don't deserve to feel bad. We have enough to worry about.

peace & love,
sunee





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment