Sunday, August 7, 2011

Happiness

How in the world do you find happiness when you're in pain all of the time?

It's hard enough not to have pity parties let alone be happy, right?

Wrong! I am a happy person by nature, but I've fallen into dunks over how little I can do now. Last night I cried over the severity of my pain. But I woke today (with pretty bad pain) in a great mood.

I truly believe it's the little things that make us happy. Like singing Beatles songs to my dogs as a fun way to start my day. (Besides the fact that they're the only ones who enjoy my singing.)

We may have had to give up activities we truly loved, but it's up to us to find new ones. Or, bring out ones we've forgotten about. I brought out puzzles because there is a frustration that leads to great satisfaction when we've completed one. and, I only worked on it in 20 minute increments so I wouldn't add to the pain in my back and neck.

That's just one small example. Because I believe that happiness is a choice it's up to me to a) not feel sorry for myself, and b) do the things that make me smile and bring me joy.

We can make accommodations for certain activities, such as the practice of Yoga or a low intensity sport (with doctor's approval).

It's half attitude and half doing. Just sitting around in pain and miserable wondering why we aren't happy isn't going to help matters.

Make a "happy list" as corny as that sounds. Put a note on your bathroom mirror reminding yourself to enjoy the day. Color, knit or crochet, read, journal, call a good friend, bake cookies...

One thing that has kept me smiling is fixing myself up everyday. Well, almost everyday. No living in sweats with hair in a mess. I don't mean party attire, just nice enough to see people. May invite people over for tea, then you'll already be dressed.

Make the choice to be happy. You won't regret it.

peace & love,
sunee




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Home

No comments:

Post a Comment