Saturday, August 6, 2011

pain and panic

Many times when we have pain we panic. This is true for those of us with chronic pain conditions or not. 


Pain is scary. Why am I hurting? Could it be serious? What should I do?


I'm not referring to accidents like when I broke my nose. I knew exactly why I was hurting- but it was still scary.


I'm referring to the where did this come from pain. Rapid onset pain. And, if you don't have a chronic pain condition I would advise you get to the doctor. Random pain can be serious. Don't be stubborn.


So, when we get this pain it isn't the time to get worked up and Oh my gosh what do I do? Should I do this, take that, use this, et cetera. It's hard, I know from experience, but we need to remain as calm as possible.


For those of us with pain most of the time a new or worse pain can lead to panic. I get terrible anxiety if I don't slow down. Maybe get a family member to help if you're immobilized or feel you can't move. Call out for help in a calm manner. We don't want everyone freaking out.


Acknowledge the pain and the fear and then figure out what to do next. Do you have medication? Do you have a routine for when pain strikes? 


I always say take deep breaths. It will clear your mind of all the mind chatter, relax your body and allow you to determine what is the best way to handle this pain.


I still panic and have anxiety when pain worsens or won't stop for even a few minutes. Honestly, that's leading to more pain or worsening the pain I've got because I'm freaking out (a little, sometimes a lot). When I finally breathe deeply I am much better prepared to deal with it. And, I don't have to scare my family.


Dealing with pain everyday is hard. We just need a toolbox of tricks (so to speak) to handle the really bad times. Music helps me. Breathing deeply helps me. My dogs help me and so on.


Try not to panic. I would hate to think of us feeling even worse. We are stronger than we even know.


May you be pain free.


peace & love,
sunee



No comments:

Post a Comment