Friday, April 1, 2011

fibromyalgia and identity

So I have fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome. What now? I can longer work because of the pain, so I'm no longer a teacher. My children are almost grown, so I'm not needed quite as much.

Who I am I now? A sick woman in pain?

It's time to reinvent myself. Not completely. I have many qualities I want to hang on to and even develop more.

For many people staying home is pleasant and relaxing. For the most part, it is for me. Pain decreased as soon as my days allowed for rest and relaxation. But my mind needs a little bit more.

I write. I have since as far back as I can remember. I have poems I wrote at 10 years old. I've written for college papers and I write short stories and plays. In fact, I thought of a career as a playwright before I landed my first teaching job. I'm even attempting a novel.

We need something- writing, crafting, sewing- whatever our bodies allow, to keep our minds active. Reading is helpful for that, too. Maybe someday you'll be reading my work :)

My point is that we still have an identity aside from our illnesses. We don't necessarily need to actually reinvent ourselves, but we need to have a clear sense of who we are aside from pain.

If you're able to work, you understand the satisfaction of getting a job done, especially if you love your career as much as I loved teaching. Those of us who can no longer work deserve that satisfaction, too.

So, whether it's reinventing ourselves or renewing and old hobby, the time is now. We don't want to identify ourselves by illness only. We deserve more than that.

Enjoy yourself :)

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment