Monday, April 4, 2011

pain and fatigued days

Some days are better than others when it comes to chronic pain. Today has been a very bad day. I'm sitting with heating pads trying to relax and ease the pain. No matter what I've tried, be it medications (and I take plenty) and now I'm having acupuncture. I exercise. I don't eat certain foods. Yet nothing seems to stop the bad flare ups and everyday pain. All of it at times unbearable.

On days like today I need to let go of my list of imaginary must do items and take care of myself. I need to change my old way of thinking that I must do, do, do and go, go, go.

The new way I'm trying to think is to rest when I'm tired, limit what I do, including go up and down my stairs too many times, and listen to my body. And I did rest today. I had to.

Since I don't want to just sit and moan about my pain to my family I need to find outlets to express how I feel. That fatigue is making me feel like cement, that I hurt in so many places I lost count and that the level of pain is increasing as the day wears on. We don't want to become a strain on our families, or have it be an oh well she's in pain again thing. It's hard to balance pain and family.

I also need to refocus my mind on ways to relax and to cope. I practice mindfulness meditation, but not every day like I should. I read. I blog. I take long, hot baths and picture my pain slipping away. I picture sandy white tropical beaches. I play word games (as I've mentioned before, I'm sure!).

I guess for all of us with fibro or chronic pain conditions, this is life. It's up to us to take care of ourselves and deal with the bad days.

I hope you're having a pain-free, good day.

peace and love,
sunee


No comments:

Post a Comment