Saturday, April 9, 2011

balance

So I was thinking about my favorite Dr. Seuess book Oh, the Places You'll go!
and it dawned on me that, not only does he remain one of my all time favorite authors, but he makes some great points in that book.

For example, he reminds us to step with great care because life is a great balancing act. And so it is for all of us. With or without chronic pain conditions, we have to find some sort of way to keep things on an even keel.

I get caught up in silly things and disregard the things I need to do for myself. I don't just mean to control my pain, but to be a good wife, mother, daughter and friend.

To be balanced means we can't do everything. Fun and enjoyment is as important as work. Rest is as important as play. Gentleness is an important as standing firm.

Life may not be a dress rehearsal, but we do get to practice over and over how to keep balance in our lives. We don't have to be perfect. We just have to ease into a balanced life.

For those of us with illnesses and chronic pain, this balanced life style is imperative. We'll feel better and we'll get to enjoy our lives more.

If we suffer from pain on a regular basis we need to balance work, play, health care and rest- among many other things. We don't need to get all analytical and make lists or a detailed schedule, but if that helps you, go for it.

I plan to listen to my body first. That will stop me from working too much, whether it be chores or writing. Listening to body will remind me to rest. These things will allow me to enjoy my family time, a very important part of my life. And, if I'm very well balanced I might just get to squeeze in a lunch with a friend.

I haven't been enjoying my life as much because I haven't been listening to my body. I forgot about balance. My pain has been elevated.

My advice to everyone is to prop up your feet and revisit Dr. Seuess (after all, he was a Doctor). Not only does his writing have invaluable advice, put it may just put a smile on your face :)

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment