Wednesday, April 6, 2011

managing pain

Managing pain can be an overwhelming feat. Family and friends don't understand how bad the pain can get. The numbness, burning and fatigue all make for a difficult way to live.

So, how do we manage pain and other symptoms of autoimmune diseases and fibromyalgia and still have a life?

That is the question, isn't it? After all, we don't want to be laid up or freaking out (as I tend to do when the bad gets to the intolerable point). There is a certain amount of stress that comes with chronic pain. And we all probably have bouts with depression when we're constantly in pain and can't do what we want to (or think we have to). In fact, sometimes we have to do things even when we're suffering terribly. Those of us with children, for example. Or, as I have, my mother living with us.

I wish I had the answers. I had to leave a career I loved because the pain was so intense every single day that try as I might, it showed on my face as well as in my body language. I thought the diversion of going back to work would be a good distraction, since I love teaching so much.

I guess what we need to do is have (flexible) plans in place when severe pain strikes. Like taking a hot bath then resting with heating pads and a cup of tea. Or, as the pain is coming on, mindfulness meditation helps quite a bit. It is a type of meditation that deals with pain, stress and other related problems and is worth checking into. I found a great collection of meditations on Itunes.

Besides rapid onset pain which comes on too quick to try meditation first, forms of relaxation help ease the pain by reducing the stress and relaxing the muscles that get so tight.

I'm not against pain medication. I believe we're given it for a reason and when the pain gets to the point where I'm unable to do anything such as move comfortably, I do take something for pain then try the relaxation techniques. The two together generally lower the pain to a functioning level.

Of course, we shouldn't be lifting things or doing hard labor. We should be exercising as prescribed and eating well, excluding the foods that make pain worse. So exchange diet soda for tea or water, because sugar substitutes add to pain. Caffeine is another no no if we are trying to lower everyday pain. There are also certain vegetables and the like. Just look up diets for Fibromyalgia and you'll get plenty of info.

We should also rest. Getting a good night's sleep is imperative. If you're one with sleeping problems, like I am, a nap during the day helps.

Seeking alternative means of pain relief is an option, though they can be costly even with insurance. I'm trying acupuncture and I have my second treatment tomorrow. I'm willing to try whatever I can to even reduce the pain. It also is said to relieve stress, and boy do we have stress if we're in pain all the time!

I have a high level of pain daily. I don't have great answers about minimizing the pain. I'm just sharing what I'm trying and how it effects me and those around me.

I hope I offered some solutions, or at the very least, some things to consider.

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment