Saturday, April 23, 2011

pain and daily life

Every single day I have pain in several parts of my body. Every single day I still have things to do. I'm struggling with how to slow down and let things get done when they get done. Clearly some things need immediate attention, but I'm spending so much time doing that my body is fighting back.

To steal a phrase from 12 step programs, I need to take it One Day At A Time. If I have to stop everything and rest so be it. If I need to end my activities early because I need a hot bath or to get as comfy as I can with my heating pads, so be it. The world isn't going to come to an end.

Since I've been having a terrible time with high levels of pain daily I'm (slowly) learning to change my ways. I was a 24/7 get it all done and then some type of woman. Now I need to be a Keep It Simple type of woman.

The plus side to slowing down and taking care of myself is that I'm enjoying my time at home more. Time with my husband, my kids and my mom. I don't need to be out and about every minute.

It's hard. I feel down a lot lately. But each day I'm trying to let go of old ideas and listen to my body. I get frustrated when I can't control the pain or the problems from my illnesses. I know that it's normal, I just don't want to live in that state of mind.

Pain and daily life doesn't have to mean depressing, boring frustration. It can actually open up doors to learning about myself, and, best of all, I can nap whenever I please.

Here's to learning to live with different priorities :)

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment