Thursday, July 14, 2011

informed, but not too informed


It's important to learn about a medical condition you're diagnosed with.


When I was first diagnosed, and whenever I feel worse or have new symptons, I start reading up on Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome.



Sometimes we read and research to the point that we freak ourselves out, feel symptoms we didn't before, question the diagnosis and worry ourselves sick.


I have books about both conditions. I even have one on living with Sjogren's, what to expect as the disease progresses since my own body is attacking itself in certain ways.


I have, however, worked myself into a panic by reading too much about the future- when I don't even know how severe the Sjogren's will progress.


As far as Fibro, make sure what you're reading is up to date. Much of it may be helpful and may help you write a list of questions to ask your doctor. Or, it can scare you.


My (new) philosophy on reading about and researching is to do it when something new has actually occurred and reading only about that. There is so much information available. It's hard to know when enough is enough. For our own good, keep it to what you need from who you trust.


We're all looking for answers, but keep in mind that we may not be reading legitimate or up to date information. Check your sources.


And remember, too much information can be a dangerous thing.


peace and love,
sunee



No comments:

Post a Comment