Tuesday, July 5, 2011

having a "life"

After being laid up for several months I have come to a few realizations. I am imagining you're thinking, "What else would she be doing with all that time?" I agree. It took me quite a while. First I felt sorry for myself, with my heating pads and constant pain. Then I got confused about who I was now and what would, or should, I do. Then I experienced depression.


My pain has gotten worse, but I've gotten out a bit more. I'm not hitting the clubs or being a social butterfly. I've started doing things that I enjoy but are realistic for someone with Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome. I mean tons of doctor's appointments are fun and all, but variety is nice.


I joined a positive support group. We go on short walks (at a moderate pace) and talk about life. I've been to a concert I really wanted to attend. I have had short visits with friends- long enough to be enjoyable, yet short enough not to exhaust me. I go for short walks and drives with my husband.


Everyone has to find their own way to have in their a lives while dealing with chronic pain and other conditions. I can only offer what I'm doing. But, it is really changing my attitude. I feel less isolated. I find it easier to relax when I'm not busy and I'm not as angry about my pain anymore. 


Life is good. Sometimes it feels more complicated and difficult to remember that. But, it's our job. My pain may never go away. In fact it's increasing. But I'm still here and I want a life.


And let's add in family- especially children. I don't think it's healthy to be mopey all the time and make them feel scared, confused and maybe even sick of it.


Hobbies help, too. Whatever works for you. Whatever takes you away from the stress, pain and depression. 


We can have a life. It just may not be the life we imagined. Honestly, do things ever go how we imagined, anyway?


So add a few small activities to your routine and smile. We are blessed with the life we've been given, problems and all.


May you feel happiness with your life.


peace and love,
sunee


Chef BeLive

June 30

No comments:

Post a Comment