Monday, March 28, 2011

it's ok to slow down with Fibromyalgia

Today I wanted to do a long list of things. Some were semi-important. Some were just chores that, of course, can wait. When I felt extreme fatigue set in, followed by pretty bad pain and an upset stomach, I knew I couldn't do it all.

I'm learning that it's okay not to do it all. I have to take care of myself or I cannot do anything for anyone, especially myself.

If you're at all like me you want to be and do everything. Finding out that I can't has been almost as hard of an adjustment as dealing with the chronic pain and fatigue.

My first inclination was to beat myself up for what I didn't do. After all, I slept for three hours this afternoon. After looking back on the day, I know I made the right choice to rest.

Not that I had an option. Fatigue overtook me completely, my whole body was throbbing in pain and no part of me felt "right." There's no need to push myself when I can do what I need to tomorrow. Or the next day. I cannot dwell on what I didn't do.

I tend to stress myself into a panic over what I cannot do and increase my pain level dramatically when I dwell.

I can, however, feel good about caring for myself. It's our first responsibility if we have Fibro, other chronic pain conditions or other health issues.

Putting my health needs first has been quite difficult for me. I want to do it all, well, and make life easier for those I love.

Everyday I am making better choices for my overall health. I'm resting more. I keep a very slow-spaced lifestyle now. I try not to stress over the little things I didn't get done. I try to take it slow enough to enjoy all the little things I was to busy to enjoy before.

Everyday that I deal with these conditions I am learning more about myself. For those in the same boat we know that this may be the hardest part. We need to change so much about how we live and think.

The best thing about today is that I realized that nothing bad happened when I didn't get to all of the things on my list. I don't need to put myself through the pain of dwelling. It's more than okay to slow down and do what I can ease some of the pain and fatigue.

May we all slow down and enjoy the little things. It should help ease some of the pain and might just keep a smile on our faces. Besides, nothing beats an afternoon nap :)

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment