Sunday, March 27, 2011

happiness and Fibromyalgia?

Having Fibromyalgia often leads to depression. Although I don't know the medical reasons exactly, I know the two are connected. It's completely understandable. Being in constant pain, having extreme fatigue and feeling completely out of sorts can make anyone depressed.

Another reason I feel that I personally get depressed is because I know I cannot do all of the things I used to do or I want to do. I know my lack of energy and days I am in too much pain to do anything worries my family and that makes me very sad. Just having severe pain makes me sad.

But I have been thinking about this topic for a while now and it seems to me that I can still be happy despite having Fibromyalgia.

I still have a loving family I enjoy more than I can express. I may not be up to shopping trips with my daughter very often, or going out with the family for too many activities,but I can have a wonderful time just being with them.

I can still appreciate a beautiful day by sitting outdoors and reading or just relaxing. I can go sit at the beach :) I can hang out at home with my family and just talk or play a game or cook or just watch a movie and/or our favorite TV shows. After all, I'm addicted to Top Chef and the Food Network, as well as Wheel of Fortune. These are all things I watch with my daughter and my mother.

I can sit with my son and help him with homework or just talk. I can go for a drive with my husband. I can have friends come for a visit or just babble on the phone.

The list goes on and on. The reason I am pointing these things out stems from my belief that we can be happy in spite of having illnesses such as Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome. It's the little everyday things that made me happy before and these things make me happy still.

I do fall into depressions but I use the tools I've been taught through counseling to lift myself up. I focus on what brings a smile to my face. When the pain is really intense I try not to fall into panic mode and, if no one is available to hang out with, I try to reflect on how blessed I am.

We don't need to be pain free to be happy. And we don't need to fall into a pain depression. It happens, of course, but we don't have to live there. We need to be present and enjoy all of the little things that make life good.

I thought of this while looking at old pictures. Seeing us smiling just hanging around the house reminded me of just how fun everyday life is. My happiest moments weren't all when I could direct a play with 40+ students. I enjoyed that very much. But I enjoy the funny little things my family says and just as much. Actually, I enjoy them more.

Happiness is where we look for it. It's for the taking despite pain.

May you find your everyday happiness every single day.

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment