Monday, March 21, 2011

fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia can often feel like it's taking the life right out of you.
Somedays it can be hard to just get dressed. On those days my self-esteem often suffers because I feel that I cannot accomplish anything.

I've already had to leave a teaching job I loved because the pain was so great that I couldn't function and I was pushing myself so hard I would collapse the second I walked in the door.

Even without working I cannot be all that I would like to be for my family. Pain, besides the obvious discomfort, is exhausting. And, for me, if the pain is severe, causes anxiety. Especially when deep pain strikes out of nowhere.

But those of us with this condition, and similar ones (like an autoimmune disease like I have as well) need to accept that it's okay to rest instead of doing the million things on our imaginary lists.

It's okay to take a warm bath or take a nap, or as I do, sit with my heating pads and read or play word games. Distractions are good. Meditation, a good book, a TV show or movie, or, if you're like me, any word game will do. In fact, I'm addicted to them and they have eased me through some terrible flare ups.

I'm learning to let go of the expectations I've placed on myself and care for my body (and spirit). I exercise as prescribed and do what I can each day. After all, tomorrow is another day. And, we may not be able to get to everything tomorrow. But the best we can do for ourselves is to find ways to cope with the pain so we can enjoy our families and our lives.

It's hard to completely change from a do everything for everyone every minute woman to an easy paced, do what I can one. What's even harder is not falling into a depression because we can't do what we'd like. We can't sit through a movie in a theatre. We can't always go meet friends. We may even lose friends because we're not as mobile as we used to be.

So I'm reinventing my daily life. I assess how I'm feeling and do only what I can do without causing more pain. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I nap. I read and I write and, of course, play word games. This simple lifestyle allows me to cook dinner for my family more often. It allows me to be better company. It doesn't take the constant pain away, but it makes life more enjoyable and it makes it easier to cope.

When we have chronic pain conditions we have to adjust our lives almost completely, but we don't need to give up having a life. So be good to yourself, take it slow and find some distractions to get you through the rough spots.
peace and love and good health to all,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment