Thursday, April 1, 2010

apples and oranges

Now that I have fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome people want to explain that their pain is nowhere near the pain I experience. It's almost like they are apologizing when they complain about their pain.

In the 41 years I didn't have these conditions my headaches hurt BAD as well as my sprains and other discomforts life brings. Sometimes life just hurts.

Now I get a different kind of pain altogether. It doesn't even feel like my old pains, and as such, nothing I can compare.

I still get headaches and they still suck. I'm not one to doubt that those around me have miserable headaches or that they have another real pain. We all have real pain and we just can't compare one to the pain of another.

I've tried to make sure to let my loved ones know their hurt matters too. And, that they don't have to rationalize or justify the mention of pain with, "I know it's nothing like what you feel..."

Well, sure. I hope not. Like apples and oranges, it's a bit ridiculous to compare two completely different things- we can't compare heartbreaks but we can show sympathy, empathy and compassion.

We have enough to worry about without worrying about if our pain is bad enough to express. Maybe people just need to care more and it wouldn't be such a comparison.

In the meantime, give yourself a get well hug and I'll be wishing you good health.

peace and love,
sunee
SARK's Transformation Exper!ence is a life-changing multimedia journey of healing and transformation for the splendidly imperfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment