Monday, April 5, 2010

guilty as charged?


Guilt. Who needs it? It serves no purpose other than to mess with our heads often lowering self-esteem and/or self-worth.

I should know. I wear guilt like a new cute dress. I take on guilt easily and deeply. Why? It's silly, isn't it? What a waste of time, energy and emotion.

So what does someone like me do to avoid carrying this ridiculous weight? No one needs it, but those of us with chronic conditions certainly can't afford such unnecessary turmoil. We have to say no to the guilt. We cannot take that on. Unfortunately, just deciding to be guilt free may not do the trick.

I haven't perfected my guilt-free living, but I've slimmed down on my in-take by feeding myself healthy thoughts and ideas. I start with affirmations. Sark's Living Juicy Daily Morsels For Your Creative Soul covers everything from giving yourself permission to Believe to the art of listening. I read from that and other books by Sark daily. (When I read through her books, I'll find another positive source of reading material. This is on-going work!)

The strongest voice we hear, of course, is our own- so positive self talk, thoughts and actions are imperative. We can't just read it and expect to feel better. We need to ACT better as well. So, when everything goes absolutely crazy at home or work or school we can't take it all on and feel guilty, stuck in a pool of emotions that are more like quicksand.

We have to realize that things happen. Sometimes, and boy do I know this, they all happen at once. That's when it's time to take a step back, breathe, and figure out a plan. Nowhere in there is there guilt time. And, you don't deserve it. If you're feeling it, maybe give yourself a time out and do some meditation or journaling and let it go. And keep letting it go until it's actually gone. For some of us this takes a little while.

If we're trying to find balance or peace in our lives than guilt has no place. If we're ill and working to get stronger and stay positive guilt has no place. If we're role models for children or teens guilt has no place. And, finally, we don't don't deserve it in our lives and guilt has no place.

Let it go and free yourself of what you cannot control. I'll be working at that right along with you :)

peace and love,
sunee

SARK's Transformation Exper!ence is a life-changing multimedia journey of healing and transformation for the splendidly imperfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment