Friday, April 16, 2010

staying on track


How in the world can I possibly get this done on time? There is just too much to do! Have you ever felt that way? I have. All the time. Projects seem impossible, goals seem unrealistic and the whole ordeal just becomes a big ball of stress, confusion and procrastination.

And all of this gets compounded when we're working toward something- running a race, acting, building something, writing, painting, growing a garden, dancing, playing an instrument et cetera.
So, what do we do to avoid such a mess? Goal setting. I don't mean the big, elaborate kind of goals (albeit those are important). I'm referring to bite-sized goals we can accomplish allowing us to move on to the next thing so that, viola! we can achieve our ultimate goals.

It starts with a sort of triage system. What needs attention first? Or, what can I do today, right now? We can't do everything at once so prioritizing helps break it down to realistic portions.

One goal I have is to write. That's a big, undefined goal. Rather overwhelming without direction and little goals to achieve to reach my desire- to get published. So I broke it down to writing at least a little every single day (good or not so good) until I finish the stories I want to send out.

Now, let's have a realistic moment. Life often gets in the way of our goals- even what we HAVE to do at times. People need us, emergencies happen, we get sick.

My illnesses get in the way of my productivity many a day, but I try to at least get ideas down or a few sentences on paper if that's all I've got in me. Every little bit gets us closer to our goal. We have to work with what we've got.

By breaking goals down into these bite-sized pieces we can achieve more. We don't have to be perfect today (well, we never have to be perfect, just perfectly ourselves) we just have to keep working at whatever it is.

And, by completing these little goals we can feel accomplished, satisfied and motivated to continue rather than overwhelmed, scared and immobile with stress or fear.

So let's get down to the nitty gritty of our goals and get some good stuff cooking. Triage, patience and good old fashioned hard work will get us there :)

peace and love,
sunee

Get 90 fabulous tools for healing and transforming your life with SARK's Transformation Exper!ence!


No comments:

Post a Comment