Tuesday, March 2, 2010








Pity Parties aren't much fun. No one comes. You just sit around feeling sorry for yourself, maybe crying, ranting, venting, cussing and all the rest. It's exhausting and doesn't do much. (Especially for the complextion.)

Not that a little boohooing isn't called for now and again. I'm a crier, I should know. But, honestly, I cannot boohoo my conditions and hand I've been dealt all the time. It isn't healthy or very fulfilling.

For many of us, like myself, life took a drastic turn and when we became ill and we didn't know what to do with ourselves. Even resting with my trusty heating pads and green tea (high in antioxidants) I get antsy, feel useless at times, get stir crazy...

We have options. I work in my playbook journal by Sark (pictured) or read. I play word games. I invite people over for visits. I don't know if they would come if I invited them to my pity party as opposed to coming over for Scrabble or lunch or even tea.

No one free to visit? A phone call might do the trick. I'm not saying don't reach out during a meltdown, I just don't want to live in poor me land, sipping on bitter life tea- alone.

I used to be afraid or embarrassed to tell everyone about my conditions, but that alone was like a pity party, table for one. No one can befriend me if I don't let them in. And, it's so important for those of us with chronic conditions and pain to have the bright light of friendship in our lives so we don't isolate.

reaching out
by sunee lyn foley

If I reach my hand out to yours
will you accept it-
with all of my short comings-
now that I am no longer
the life of the party?
I no longer hide
from the gift of
laughing and sharing
and crying and giving
that friendship brings.
I will take the loving
hands that have been
so graciously
extended to me
and I will no longer
be alone on
this new road.

So, don't be surprised if I invite you to a party. Just know that it will be a joyous one filled with games and treats and fun. Knowing me I just might cry anyway.

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment