Tuesday, October 23, 2012

nothing doing

Sometimes the best you can do is nothing at all. That's really hard for someone like me, who wants to take care of everyone and everything. I want to make sure everybody is all right. No one is upset. Everything is back in harmonious working order.

But, we all know that harmonious working order doesn't mean perfect. There's no such thing. Something has to give- I can't fix it for every single person all of the time. Or, honestly, most of the time. 

What I can do is be an example of calm in the chaos, and love everyone through whatever crisis befalls us. I don't have to fix anything, except maybe, dinner. And, I may not even do that. (Thank you Mandarine Kitchen.)

I try to learn what I can from what happened, later, but first, let's end the commotion and relax. I believe in forgiveness. I don't hold a grudge In fact, I'm devastated when I've argued with someone and the day ends without us making up.

My first inclination when there was arguing and fighting when my kids were younger was to raise my voice to be louder than theirs (and my kids are loud!) and get all tense and angry.

Now, I think I would still rush to the scene but I think I would speak softly and stay calm. All I would ever want is for them to get along and forgive one another. And I would try to get them to be friends again. But, If I stayed out of it, they usually forgave each other twice as fast.

I'm a doer, but I'm learning that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Although that wouldn't have been okay with me five or six years ago, I've come to appreciate how important nothing is.

I'm pretty sure we're all good at actually doing nothing.

peace and love,
sunee 

No comments:

Post a Comment