Tuesday, October 30, 2012

infusions and medical care

   I have spent the past two days having IVIG infusions. Now, before I feel any benefits from it, I feel a massive migraine and terrible nausea. I love side effects. 
   I talked with some very sweet people in between the 50 million times I had my blood pressure and temperature checked. Really? Does it have to checked every 15 minutes? 
   I wanted to read, maybe write. I thought maybe I'd feel good enough to blog from my phone. Yeah right? I couldn't even blog from home!
   I think I forget from month to month just how difficult this is on me. But I am a trooper. I show up with a good attitude and a sweet disposition- much sweeter than most of the medical staff, I'm sorry to say. Probably because they're so over worked. Like teachers, but with more blood.
   I feel for the nurses. Patients are cranky, bossy, impatient. Not me. I'm sweet, easy going. Why give the nurse a hard time? I never understood giving nurses or even waitresses and waiters a hard time. Just because their job is to serve us doesn't mean they're subservient.
   But, I don't even get angry when my doctor runs late. Even 45 minutes. The thing is I want him to take his time with me as well. I may hold up the line (and I have on many occasion), so to speak, so I need to have a good attitude about it. 
   I say he because I'm thinking of my rheumatologist who always thinks f the patient, not some 15 minute rule that a money hungry person invented for our health care. How is 15 minutes enough when you've got serious medical problems. And, I'll admit this to everyone, I won't rush when I see the doctor no matter how many people are waiting.
   We're all responsible for our own well being, and behavior (as I mentioned in the earlier part of this tangent). We are also our own best advocate.
   When I need to spend time with the doctor, bring a list and go through the items. I always forget a few, but for the most part, I leave my appointments satisfied. No one can do that for me but me- generally speaking. 
   Sometimes we need to send an advocate to pick up a prescription or sample or a referral. I have a great advocate, my husband. I hope everyone, especially those who are sick, has someone who can help with those things, and the million more that come up.
   Clearly my mind is everywhere tonight. This is a bit of a salad bowl of thoughts. It's like the essay exams that you want to make sure the teacher knows you know the material so it becomes an information dump. I beg your kindness as I will bring in a new story tomorrow. I honestly couldn't decide which one tonight.
peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment