Wednesday, September 19, 2012

forgiveness

Forgiveness seems so simple yet can be so powerful. To me, the ability to forgive is one of the most important qualities a person can have. Forgiveness can be extremely difficult at times, especially forgiving ourselves.

It isn't always as simple as saying, "No worries," or, "I'm sorry," to the person (or people) involved when we've made a mistake.  But, it shouldn't necessarily be a major pride swallowing event, either. 

(I won't even get into the whole pride and humility thing - right now, at least - suffice to say that the prideful may have a little more trouble with even a simple apology.)

I have always forgiven easily. Now that I'm ill I don't want to waste a single moment of my life  being angry. 

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone brush things under the rug so no one is angry anymore. Because, they are. It is always worse when we lift that rug up and without a doubt that rug will have to be lifted at some point.

Say we accidentally hurt someone's feelings. Whether it was something we said or something we did, when we unintentionally hurt someone one in any way, I believe asking for forgiveness shows I value their feelings and our relationship.

The hardest person for me to forgive is myself. If I say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing, I will get much more angry with myself than I ever could with anyone else. I never cut myself any slack, even when I'm in terrible pain, for anything.

I'm learning to forgive myself. When I do it's like that proverbial weight that's been lifted off my shoulders. I become a more compassionate person, not anywhere near perfect, but better and better as I go along if I continue to treat myself, and others, with compassion, kindness and love.

We are only human. All of us. We mess up sometimes. Sometimes in a big way. If we try forgiving ourselves and others maybe people will have compassion and forgive us when we need it. Not that we'll need it...

peace and love,
sunee





No comments:

Post a Comment