Saturday, September 22, 2012

beware of super powers

I'm starting to get really burned up about all of the ridiculous faulty advertising. Do the powers that be have no shame?

I guess it's not the fault of the TV stations and the magazines. It's the companies themselves. Maybe it's on us, the consumers of such products, for shamelessly believing in them.

It is quite possible that two Aleve help a basketball coach through the school day, but I am going to tell you that taking Lyrica isn't going to make you feel well enough to go to the job site or host a large party if you feel like I do before you start taking it.

I'm not bashing the product. It does help. It just doesn't necessarily take a person from bed ridden back to the working world- even if it is taken as part of what I like to refer to as my fibro cocktail, which is in no way to be confused with my Sjogren's selection of pharmaceuticals (none of which are actually designed for Sjogren's because there are NO medications specifically for Sjogren's Syndrome). 

In an article in my Sjogren's Syndrome magazine it discussed ways to think yourself back to an active, well life. The key was acceptance. I was in agreement about the acceptance, but then it lost me.

Acceptance made the difference between my happiness and my life being full of pain and confusion and sadness. Once I accepted what was happening to me I found that I could still enjoy the most important pleasures in my life- my family, my writing, reading and my addiction to a few TV shows.

The article suggested that after each flare you get back on the road to healing quicker and quicker each time. You may get side tracked, but you'll jump back on track and a' healing you will go.

They probably want us to take some Lyrica and build a path we all can follow to the healing place. Once there we will bounce back from a flare like one of those basketballs from the Aleve commercial.

I'm not pessimistic. I'm not negative. (I'm actually very optimistic.) I just don't want our need for something to make these horrible, chronic pain conditions and diseases better that we start believing they have super powers.

It's just good to keep perspective.

peace and love,
sunee

No comments:

Post a Comment